Monday, August 29, 2016

Book Review: Safe House by Joshua Straub

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review:

Safe House took me a long time to read. It is not a book one can simply skim through and toss aside. It takes time, and thought, and even re-reading. 



It was sometimes a painful read. It showed me in so many ways the house I was raised in was not a safe house. I suggest journaling as you read through the book. A journal will provide a place for favorite quotes and your thoughts as you go.

I loved the questions/exercises at the end of the chapters. It helped me to re-explore my own childhood, to see where I was hurting, and to essentially start my own recovery. Also, it helps you sort of lay out a plan for putting into practice what you've read into raising your children the Safe House way.

One quote I love from the book is: "The peaceful home is a home where we as parents are turning to God in our own fears." 

it reminds us to not allow fear/anxiety/anger to interfere with our parenting; we should be turning those emotions to God first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment