Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Book Review: No Other Will Do by Karen Witemeyer

I received a complimentary copy of this book by Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.

Emma Chandler was raised by suffragette aunts who gave her a wonderful sense of self, empathy for humanity in need, particularly women, and a deep faith in God.

The thread of feminism was not overwhelming, but constant and appreciated. I enjoyed the fact that it showed christian feminism exists and works (as some people believe it cannot).



When Emma was a child she stumbled upon an orphan, Malachi Shaw, trying to find warmth and sleep in her family's barn and they "adopted" him. He remained a part of their family, although eventually he found a career that kept brought him far from them until she entreated him to help her with some trouble she was having at her woman's colony.

Emma and Malachi have a sweet friendship that I found led nicely into a romance. I adored the fact that, although both of them had different versions of broken families, they had long, warm memories of their childhood together.

The common theme I found in the book was just that.

Most of the characters had been broken in one way or another. They had a broken life, broken emotions, broken bones. God, however, through His people, fixes the brokenness. Heals it.

I had trouble in the beginning as I was completely lost as to what this "woman's colony" was, but eventually the fun, adventure, and of course romance brought me into the book and I finally figured things out and ended up really enjoying the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment